Tuesday, April 27, 2010

There's more to me than just needlework

I've decided that this blog shouldn't just be about stitching; there's much more to me than that. I like cooking and I have some really awesome recipes to share. I've got a couple of nifty household helper ideas that have become essential in my home and I think others might like them, too.

I may as well start with a recipe I came up with not long ago. Easy and colorful, it's a quick supper with very little prep time.

Italian Sausage with Pineapple and Peppers on Rice
Serves 2 - 4

2 cups cooked rice

1 lb Italian sausage, mild or hot, depending on your tastes
1 small yellow onion or 3 green onions, chopped
1 8oz. can pineapple chunks with 1/4 cup juice reserved
1 cup frozen pepper slices or fresh yellow and red bell peppers

Crumble and fry Italian sausage until brown, add chopped onion and cook until slightly softened. Add 1/4 cup pineapple juice, stirring occasionally, reduce over medium heat until meat and onion are coated and glossy and a small amount of liquid remains. Add pineapple and peppers, mix thoroughly and heat through. Serve over cooked rice.

For extra spice, add a pinch of crushed red peppers to taste.

I serve it with greens tossed with a mild vinaigrette or roasted garlic buttermilk dressing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in. Your comments are welcome.